[Vision2020] 8-31-12: Three electrocuted in Idaho ditch

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 15:08:07 PDT 2012

 What a strange absurd way to end it all!  And two were killed trying to
rescue someone... No good deed goes unpunished!

It seems irrigation pumps should be constructed with redundant fail safes
to sense shorts and shut down power if one occurs.

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/3-electrocuted-in-idaho-ditch%3B-1-tried-to-save-dog

Updated Aug 31, 2012 3:42 PM ET
BLACKFOOT, Idaho (AP)

An assistant track and field coach at Idaho State University was one of
three people who were electrocuted in an irrigation ditch — the coach after
apparently trying to rescue a dog and two others who went into the water in
an attempt to rescue her.

Bingham County officials found the bodies Thursday about three miles
northwest of Blackfoot.

Jacquelyn R. Paulson, 31, of Blackfoot, was reported missing at about 9:30
p.m. when she didn't return from a search for the family dog, sheriff's
Capt. Mark Crowley said.

Two Blackfoot men — Michael Lance Hicks, 41, and Preston Keith Tarpley, 49
— apparently went in the water to rescue Paulson and also were electrocuted.

An irrigation pump in the area had shorted out and was sending a current
through the water, Crowley said.

Idaho Power Co. shut off the power in the area so rescuers could recover
the bodies.

Paulson was going into her ninth season an assistant track and field coach
at Idaho State. She was a two-time NCAA All-American in the heptathlon at
ISU and competed in the event in the 2004 and 2008 Olympic Trials,
finishing eighth in 2008. She also competed internationally.
"She was the pride of our program," said ISU head track and field coach
Dave Nielsen. "She was like a daughter to me. This is so untimely and
tragic that I just don't know what else to say."