[Vision2020] Spokesman Review 8-31-12: "Illia Dunes cleanup continues after 3, 000 partiers trash shores"

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 14:55:33 PDT 2012

I've had many great times around the Snake down by Lower Granite Dam, and
this trashing of the Dunes by what it appears was mostly a young crowd of
partiers, is disgusting, a commentary on the attitude of these youth, which
I won't explicate... You can guess!  Moscow Mountain has also become more
of a garbage dump than it was a few decades ago, no doubt in part because
of the increase in population, much of this from increased U of I
enrollment.
Progress!

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/outdoors/2012/aug/31/illia-dunes-cleanup-continues-after-3000-partiers-trash-shores/
Illia Dunes cleanup continues after 3,000 partiers trash
shores<http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/outdoors/2012/aug/31/illia-dunes-cleanup-continues-after-3000-partiers-trash-shores/>
Posted by *Rich*
Aug. 31, 2012 1:49
p.m.<http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/outdoors/2012/aug/31/illia-dunes-cleanup-continues-after-3000-partiers-trash-shores/>

PUBLIC LANDS — Cleanup continues at the Illia Dunes area along the Snake
River downstream from Lower Granite Dam after last weekend's college-crowd
of about 3,000 left the popular recreation site marred by trash.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, which manages the Snake River shoreline
in that stretch, closed the area until it can finish the cleanup, including
getting glass out of the water area and testing water quality.

Signs warn that glass is prohibited but that rule, among others, was not
observed last weekend.

Corps spokesman Bruce Henrickson said volunteers have offered to help clean
up the mess, but for safety reasons the Corps is using only volunteers it
has organized.

No decision has been made as of 1:30 p.m. Friday on whether the area will
be open for the Labor Day Weekend.

Corps officials said they will be reviewing whether they should adopt a
policy of prohibiting alcohol use at the site.

Summary as of Friday morning, Aug. 31, 2012:

By Bruce Henrickson, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers

REOPENING PLAN: We haven't yet decided when to reopen Illia Dunes. We can't
reopen until a) cleanup is done and b) water quality samples indicate it's
safe to enter the water. We took water quality samples to test for water
contamination, but I haven't seen test results yet. Maybe we'll have them
this afternoon. We can't open the beach up until water quality samples are
returned and water is considered safe for public access, and the underwater
portion of the beach is cleared of bottles and other debris (which we
should be able to do tomorrow with a volunteer crew—see below).

Our Lower Granite Natural Resources office is working with WSU Center for
Civic Engagement (CCE), which is a single-point coordinator to provide WSU
student volunteers from fraternities and sororities. CCE offered to provide
60-75 student volunteers and bus them to Lower Granite for the cleanup.

We decided to work with a single organized group of volunteers for
operational/supervision efficiency and in order to keep those volunteers
safe. For example, we asked their coordinator to ask each student volunteer
to wear sturdy shoes or boots; hat; sunscreen; insect repellant; gloves;
bring water (and we'll provide more drinking water). We also asked them to
bring swimwear or shorts for the in-water cleanup.

Keeping Illia Dunes and other Corps recreation areas open long-term will be
a joint effort of volunteer help, responsible use of Corps parks by
visitors, and Corps management of those public lands. We appreciate public
and volunteer support in that effort to keep Corps recreation areas open.

First priority was for our staff and grounds maintenance contractor to
clean the shore area of the Dunes. That's because we didn't want that trash
to blow around the area and cause even more problems.

What still needs to be cleaned up are three miles of ditches between Illia
Dunes and Lower Granite dam, and the underwater portion of the beach. One
of the reasons this area is so popular is because it has several acres of
shallow water.

We collected an enormous amount of garbage during the first three days
(Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday)—3,000 pounds of garbage so far including
hundreds of Styrofoam coolers left behind. Garbage is being taken to the
Asotin County Landfill. It was a mess.

Knowing that a large volunteer crew was arriving on Saturday, we decided to
conserve our staff resources and not continue trash collection yesterday
(Thursday) and today.

This year's peak recreation season at Illia Dunes will soon come to an end
as we begin our normal seasonal raising of the (Little Goose) reservoir
water level at Illia Dunes.

We're reviewing what happened and looking at options for preventing similar
events in the future. Because the peak recreation season is almost over at
Illia Dunes, our efforts to prevent similar incidents are aimed at
next spring.

Alcohol is not banned at Illia Dunes, but we are reviewing the situation.
Banning alcohol, or not, are options available to us. Most of all, we ask
our visitors to drink alcohol responsibly and not leave trash behind, not
take glass containers on the beach, and enjoy their visit without breaking
any laws or offending other visitors.

The District commander has authority to ban alcohol. Most medical response
calls at Illia Dunes are alcohol-related. We currently have alcohol bans at
Greenbelt Ramp, Chestnut Beach, Swallows Park in Clarkston and we have a
alcohol ban on the Little Goose Esplanade (usually referred to as “the
Wall”) at Little Goose Lock & Dam.

A typical summer weekend crowd at the dunes is 100-300 visitors. 1500-2000
visitors at Illia Dunes has been our largest in the recent past, and
usually on holiday weekends or just before school starts. The crowd of
3,000 is the largest crowd our park manager has seen since his arrival
in 2001.

We don't know specifically where our Illia Dunes visitors come from, though
many cross Lower Granite Dam to reach Illia Dunes. Many appear to be of
college age.

The Corps did not receive any specific requests for group events Aug.
25-26. In the past, we have found a few advertisements for unauthorized
“events” at the dunes.

We ask for the public's help in several ways. First, glass containers are
not allowed at Illia Dunes. That is well-posted at entrances. Second, we
provide free trash bags and ask that visitors take their trash home with
them; federal recreation budgets have been cut, and we can manage to keep
recreation areas open, but we need help from visitors in removing their
trash. We THANK our visitors for their assistance.

The current Illia Dunes closure is indicated by traffic cones and signs at
the site. We ask that the public stay out of the area until further notice.