[Vision2020] Moscow principal wins national award

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Aug 13 08:11:41 PDT 2012

Courtesy of today's (August 13, 2012) Moscow-Pullman Daily News.

-----------------------------------
Moscow principal wins national award

Winner of a national principal's award for his dedication, passion and leadership, Bill Marineau sees his job as helping teachers figure out how to help every child learn.

Marineau received Idaho's National Distinguished Principal award for 2012 earlier this year for his 14 years as principal of West Park Elementary School in Moscow.

Numerous colleagues and parents, including Moscow School District superintendent Dale Kleinert, wrote letters to nominate Marineau.

"He is truly a child at heart, and because of that rare and special talent, students and parents flock to him and are inspired because of his energy," Kleinert said in his letter.

It isn't surprising people were willing to write letters on behalf of Marineau, considering his involvement in the community, which is a vital part of his philosophy as a principal.

"It's about getting people together and finding their strengths and using our strengths to be the best that we can be," Marineau said.

Marineau has spent 30 years in education, many of which he spent teaching students of all ages and backgrounds. Marineau described teaching as the pinnacle of the education profession.

"Not to say that it's all downhill from teaching. I love being the principal and a school leader," Marineau, who has been described as "too nice," said. "My job is to put things in place that help teachers teach."

Marineau, who fashions himself as non-traditional, became a distinguished principal partially through his own experiences as a child.

"A lot of people were good at school, but I had to learn to be good at school," Marineau said. An intensely visual learner, Marineau needed his father's help to discover the distinctive style of teaching he required. This experience is something he has brought to West Park by not only helping teachers teach but also by helping teachers learn.

"Every kid can learn, but it's our job not to just teach, teach, teach; it's our job to figure out how to help every child learn," Marineau said.

One reason this works so well at West Park, Marineau said, is that the students are so young. West Park is undergoing a grade-reconfiguration from kindergarten through third grade to kindergarten through second grade.

"At this age, the way you make a difference is by helping the whole family," Marineau said, listing the parenting classes, food bank, clothes bank and nutritional programs that West Park puts on.

Kendra McMillan, principal of Lena Whitmore Elementary, acknowledged Marineau's dedication to the community, saying "he knows the power and importance of building meaningful relationships with everyone whom he meets."

Marineau said he still finds every day of his job fulfilling and feels a great sense of joy working with children and families.

"I could count on one hand the number of days I haven't wanted to come to work," Marineau said.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"We're a town of about 23,000 with 10,000 college students.  The college students are not very active in local elections (thank goodness!)."

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)