[Vision2020] Frederick Douglass, Classical Liberal

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Sun Aug 12 16:24:39 PDT 2012

The Political Thought of Frederick Douglass:In Pursuit of American Liberty, by Nicholas Buccola as reviewed by Damon Root in Reason Magazine Aug/Sept 2012
In a speech "What the Black Man Wants" Douglas said : the American people have always been anxious to know what to do with us. I have but one answer from the beginning. Do nothing with us. Your doing with us has already done the mischief. If the Negro can not stand on his own two feet, let him fall...All I ask is, to give him a chance to stand on his own legs. Let him alone." Douglas championed both civil rights and economic liberty. He made common cause with William Lloyd Garrison on the abolition of Slavery. Other than for that they had very little in common as Garrison was a pacifist and anarchist.
Roger