[Vision2020] Bees

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Tue Sep 6 19:03:10 PDT 2011

On Tuesday, September 06, 2011 11:07:20 AM Shirley Ringo wrote:
> We've had lots of yellow jackets lately.  Luckily, I found three big nests
> before they found me.  Only one sting so far.

While replacing an automobile battery I discovered four wasp nests in the same
vehicle: inside the forward door hinges, left and right, and behind the
exterior mirrors, left and right. This vehicle is not a daily driver, but it
was unexpected to find so many nests so closely co-located. Sorry to the bee
fans, but I do not find hymenopteran hobos in such close proximity to be
acceptable traveling companions.

I do suggest a more than casual examination of potential nesting places
externally accessible through automobile door hinges, adjustable mirrors, and
unsealed tail lights, for some examples, especially on less-used or secondary
and utility vehicles, for nests, whether or not currently active.

Ken