[Vision2020] Taxpayers shouldn't subsidize Port of Lewiston

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Oct 31 03:50:13 PDT 2011

Courtesy of today's (October 31, 2011) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with thanks to Fred Rabe.

Taxpayers shouldn't subsidize Port of Lewiston
Since the Port of Lewiston provides so few permanent jobs, and its expansion indirectly supports overseas manufacturing employment, why should the taxpayer subsidize the port, especially when there has been such a steep decline in barge traffic over the past decade.
Expansion would also maximize megaload traffic leading to faster deterioration of our roads and, over time, industrialization of U.S. Highway 12, spoiling our perception of wild lands and the great empty spaces along the corridor. In addition, port expansion doesn't move us any closer to dam decommissioning and wild salmon/steelhead recovery.
Fred Rabe, Moscow
Seeya round town, Moscow.