[Vision2020] Caturday (October 15, 2011)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Oct 15 05:18:17 PDT 2011

Courtesy of The Sun (London, England) at:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3870051/Suffocating-kittens-br-dumped-in-handbag.html

------------------------------

Suffocating kittens
dumped in handbag

Left for dead ... seven kittens found dumped in an airtight bag near a cat shelter in South Wales
THESE seven kittens are lucky to be alive — after being callously dumped in a zipped-up handbag and left for dead.

The six week-old kitties were crammed into the airtight PVC bag and left — suffocating to death — on the side of the road close to a cat shelter.

When they were discovered by a curious passer-by, they were only semi-conscious and suffering from lack of oxygen and heat exhaustion.

Sue Dobbs is the centre manager of the Cat Protection Centre, Bridgend, South Wales, where the newborn cats were found.

She said: "It was a real stroke of luck that my husband happened to be driving past to go to the corner shop.

"He saw the bag and thought one of the staff must have left it behind by accident so got out and checked it.

"It was so lucky he did - because the vet said the cats would not have survived for much longer."

Adorable ... the six week-old cats are now making a good recovery and will be looking for new homes

She added: "It's the worst case I've seen in 13 years.

"We do see animals being dumped or abandoned but in all my time I have never seen anything like this."

Around a third of all the cats taken in by Cats Protection across the UK are stray or abandoned and the Bridgend centre has a waiting list of more than 300 cats and kittens at one time.

Lucky toms ... the kittens were semi-conscious when they were discovered in the nick of time

Molly Hughes, deputy manager, said: "We seem to be living in a throwaway society where some people think nothing of just getting rid of innocent newborn kittens and older cats and I think it is an extremely sad state of affairs."

Thankfully the kittens are now making a good recovery and will soon be available for homing.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"Honest and true,
As the morning star.
Vote for just two,