[Vision2020] Steve Jobs

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Thu Oct 6 08:51:13 PDT 2011

On Thursday, October 06, 2011 07:38:34 AM Paul Rumelhart wrote:
> I'm saddened to see one of the true visionaries that helped bring
> desktop computing to the masses pass away.

Indeed.

> I don't generally use Apple products, though I do own an iPod shuffle.
> The last Apple computer I used I think was the Apple IIc (or was it a
> IIe?) that was, iirc, in the foyer of the Principal's office in the
> Junior High when I was going to school here.  Maybe it was at the High
> School.  It's been too long ago.

There have always been reasons to use alternatives to Apple computers -- lower
prices, higher performance, more software diversity and availability, and the
greater likelihood of a left-brain preference among the user community. On the
other hand, there are reasons Apple users persist with those products --
simpler processor architecture and development environment, more consistent
integration of peripherals with core hardware, and a better integration of
software and hardware behind a more consistent, less complicated, user
interface. Because of these characteristics combined, the ability to
accomplish some tasks, such as, early in Macintosh's lifetime, desktop
publishing, and later on, a variety of musical tasks, has made Apple computers
the sine qua non for creative right-brain types all over the world.

> Anyway, without the early entrepreneurs like Jobs, we wouldn't be where
> we are today.  The world of computing could have taken a different turn,
> and been much more closed and distant.  Think massive mainframes and
> public computer terminals.

Various speculative alternate histories may be interesting, but are useful to
the extent they assist with understanding our reality and future possible
alternatives we can effect. For example, the personal computing world might
have been quite different if IBM had chosen to use the 16-bit Motorola 68000 as
the main processor in their first personal computer, but it would have been a
more expensive product than it already was with 8-bit Intel-based components.
Interestingly, a company called Fortune Systems Corporation marketed their
Fortune 32:16 system, a product technically superior to IBM's PCs, XTs, and
ATs of the same years, but the pricing of the 32:16 kept its sales volumes low
and thus did not allow Fortune the success its technologies deserved.

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=767

As far as "massive mainframes and public computer terminals" are concerned,
the megalithic monopolists still want to drive the public toward such
solutions that they can control as their cash cathedrals. Now they call it
cloud computing with hand-held client devices, but the analogy with mindless
surrender of personal control over personal computation resources to corporate
control is just as Orwellian today as it was in the days when DEC's Ken Olson
could not understand why anyone would want or need a computer at home.

> He was also involved in Lucasfilms and Pixar, and anyone connected to
> Pixar rocks in my book.

Today the computer gaming industry is larger than the movie business. It may
well be that mindless multi-player gaming over Internet connections will be
the collective activity that leads to the economic conditions that result in
shifting control of increasingly necessary personal computing resources from
individual persons to business Borgs boasting binary billions' bigness.

More stories of the intersections of the rights of Winston Smith and the
influences of Agent Anderson await us all.

Ken