[Vision2020] Institute for Public Accuracy: Occupation Wall Street Arrests "Utterly Illegal"‏

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 15:25:14 PDT 2011

Institute for Public Accuracy
980 National Press Building, Washington, D.C. 20045
(202) 347-0020 * http://www.accuracy.org * ipa at accuracy.org

Monday, October 3, 2011

Occupation Wall Street Arrests "Utterly Illegal"

Seven hundred people participating in the The Occupy Wall Street protests
were arrested this weekend. Protests are taking place in several cities,
see: http://OccupyTogether.org <http://occupytogether.org/> with live
streaming at: http://www.livestream.com/globalrevolution .

NATHAN SCHNEIDER, nathan at wagingnonviolence.org,
http://wagingnonviolence.org
Schneider is an editor of the website Waging Non-Violence; one of his recent
pieces is "Mass arrests on the Brooklyn Bridge: is this what civil
disobedience looks like?" He is able to do interviews as well as coordinate
media with protesters, including those who have been arrested.

MARGARET RATNER KUNSTLER, margaret at kunstlerlaw.net
Margaret Ratner Kunstler is an attorney and co-author of the just-released
"Hell No: Your Right to Dissent in 21st Century America." She said today:
"The mass arrests of 700 marchers coming from Occupation Wall Street was
utterly illegal and part of a larger program by the state to shut down the
most effective means people have of making fundamental changes. It was
illegal because almost none of those arrested were warned that arrest might
ensue unless they left the bridge. Those arrests should be seen for what
they were: a shot over the bow to all who would take to the streets -- the
protests can only go so far.

"The powers that be -- Wall Street and friends -- fear that because of the
dire economic circumstances in this country people will take to the street s
as they did in the Arab Spring. We saw similar police activity in 2004 in
New York where 400 people were netted and illegally held in custody for
days; we saw how the protests in Pittsburgh at the G20 protests resulted in
arrest after arrest and we saw the Seattle World Trade Organization
protests, where police violence was the order of the day. The biggest,
greatest fear of the establishment is that people will take to the streets.
The message we must send them is: Yes, we will."

For more information, contact at the Institute for Public Accuracy:
Sam Husseini, (202) 421-6858; or David Zupan, (541) 484-9167