[Vision2020] This Rachel person NOTHING TO DO WITH LFCU!!!

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl1.fastmail.fm
Sat Nov 19 17:51:12 PST 2011

Sorry, but Rachel from Card Services has nothing to do with LFCU!!!  The
whole thing is a well-recognized identity theft scam & we've been getting
calls from Rachel for a very long time now & I've continued to file
complaints with the FCC.  I'm not sure the info Ron posted is accurate, but
it could well be - I personally was given different information about the
origins a year or two back.

Until recently, the calls were made with spoofed (both name & number)
CallerID info likely using VoIP or PRI lines, so calling back (and even
tracing) is impossible - typically, the phone number displayed would be
blank or wouldn't be a real number (pretty easy to spot).  Further, the
calls seem to come from a variety of "outfits," so it's not like there's
only one outfit behind the calls.  And, if anyone has pushed through to talk
to a live person, odds are you've been subjected to their standard verbal
abuse, lies, & just being hung up on.

More recently, I've been getting a slightly different script from Rachel &
her robocalls, along with the standard old ones.  On 11/10, Rachel called
for "Credit Service" with the standard line, but there was a new addition:
an apparently valid phone number (1-701-661-1003) along with an option in
the script to "opt out."

WARNING:  do NOT be tempted to opt out either as a part of the script or
when calling back the supposedly "valid" phone number because if you don't
fall for the identity theft part (intrinsic in the "lower credit card rate"
scam), then opting out will flag your phone number as a "live" number (the
initial calls are made by sequential auto-dialing) & they'll sell it all
over the world, so you'll get even more unwanted phone calls.

Thus, at least one of "Rachel's" gigs has figured out a way to make money
off consumers who don't fall for the identity theft component.

Of course, I still get the standard "Rachel" calls from outfits who haven't
yet figured out that despicable twist & still are violating the TCPA by
spoofing CallerID info (two in the last 24 hours:  one displayed no phone
number & the other displayed a phony number.)

For those interested in filing complaints, here's a starting place:

http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm?id

Be aware:

Thank you for contacting the FCC regarding possible violations of the
Telephone Consumer Protection Act ("TCPA") and the Commission's
telemarketing and junk fax rules.   Information provided in consumer
complaints like yours helps the Commission to combat abusive or unlawful
practices in these areas, including taking enforcement actions against
individuals or companies. In this regard, the Communications Act authorizes
the Commission to issue citations and, in some cases, impose substantial
fines upon entities that violate telemarketing and junk fax rules.

Although the Commission does not resolve individual complaints, each
complaint is individually analyzed and assists us in enforcement actions to
protect consumers like yourself.  You should be aware that the TCPA also
provides for enforcement of the telemarketing and junk fax rules by state
attorneys general and by individual consumers.  With respect to the latter,
the TCPA permits individuals who have received certain unlawful
telemarketing, such as junk faxes or telemarketing calls, to sue the
violator in state courts where they may be awarded up to $1500 for each
violation.

We invite you to visit the FCC's Consumer & Governmental Affairs Bureau's
Internet web site at http://www.fcc.gov/cgb for more information. You may
also call the FCC's Consumer Center toll free at 1-888-CALL-FCC
[1-888-225-5322], TTY: 1-888-TELL-FCC [1-888-835-5322].

Sincerely,

Sharon C. Bowers, Division Chief
Consumer Inquiries & Complaints Division
Consumer & Governmental Affairs Bureau

HTH,

Saundra Lund