[Vision2020] Pontifical Academy of Sciences, 5-11-11: "Fate of Mountain Glaciers in the Anthropocene" "...potentially irreversible impacts of global warming..."

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Fri May 13 15:41:12 PDT 2011

I think the title of this report, indicating we are now in a new climate
period in Earth's history, the "Anthropocene," defined greatly by human
impacts, is a wise decision to emphasize both the profound and potentially
long term (centuries, even millennia: *Geological Society of London: **
http://www.geolsoc.org.uk/climatechange*<http://www.geolsoc.org.uk/climatechange>
*  "...recovery of the Earth’s climate in the absence of any mitigation
measures could take 100,000 years..."* ) consequences for our planet, and
that the scientific evidence for this long term impact is highly probable.

The anthropogenic climate warming denialists are in the media/Internet
trenches (last night on Coast to Coast 950 AM KOZE Lewiston, with host
Noory, for example), attacking this hot development (no pun intended), and
for good reason:  *given the power of religious institutions to influence
beliefs among billions of people, arguably far more persuasive than
exclusively secular scientific organizations, this scientific report from
the Vatican may have more impact on public perception of the scientific
validity of human impacts on climate, than any of the other numerous and
compelling reports on anthropogenic climate change from major credible
scientific organizations in many nations:*

May 11, 2011 report "Fate of Mountain Glaciers in the Anthropocene" in full
here:
http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_academies/acdscien/2011/PAS_Glacier_110511_final.pdf

A brief statement regarding this report is pasted in below from the
Vatican website:
http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_academies/acdscien/

*We call on all people and nations to recognise the serious and potentially
irreversible impacts of global warming caused by the anthropogenic emissions
of greenhouse gases and other pollutants, and by changes in forests,
wetlands, grasslands, and other land uses. We appeal to all nations to
develop and implement, without delay, effective and fair policies to reduce
the causes and impacts of climate change on communities and ecosystems,
including mountain glaciers and their watersheds, aware that we all live in
the same home. By acting now, in the spirit of common but differentiated
responsibility, we accept our duty to one another and to the stewardship of
a planet blessed with the gift of life. We are committed to ensuring that
all inhabitants of this planet receive their daily bread, fresh air to
breathe and clean water to drink as we are aware that, if we want justice
and peace, we must protect the habitat that sustains us. The believers among
us ask God to grant us this wish.*

Ajai, L. Bengtsson, D. Breashears, P.J. Crutzen, S. Fuzzi, W. Haeberli, W.W.
Immerzeel, G. Kaser, C. Kennel, A. Kulkarni, R. Pachauri, T. Painter, J.
Rabassa, V. Ramanathan, A. Robock, C. Rubbia, L. Russell, M. Sánchez
Sorondo, H.J. Schellnhuber, S. Sorooshian, T. F. Stocker, L.G. Thompson,
O.B. Toon, D. Zaelke

-----------------------------
>From the Union of Concerned Scientists at website below, is a list of
scientific organizations and statements they have issued on anthropogenic
climate warming, that as far as I have determined surprisingly is
significantly incomplete!

http://www.ucsusa.org/ssi/climate-change/scientific-consensus-on.html

Quote from website:

Scientific Consensus on Global Warming

Scientific societies and scientists have released statements and studies
showing the growing consensus on climate change science. A common objection
to taking action to reduce our heat-trapping emissions has been uncertainty
within the scientific community on whether or not global warming is
happening and if it is caused by humans. However, there is now an
overwhelming scientific consensus that global warming is indeed happening
and humans are contributing to it. Below are links to documents and
statements attesting to this consensus.