[Vision2020] Godwin's Rule

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Fri May 13 12:59:11 PDT 2011

You seem to forget the fact that you misapplied the rule! You are using it
as if it says "Anyone who mentions the names 'Hitler' or 'Nazi' has jumped
the shark." Tom made a comparison that seemed to me to be accurate. If it
was faulty, then please explain why. He didn't call anyone a Nazi and NO ONE
other than you took it that way. It is the misapplication of the rule that I
was objecting to, more than anything else. And of course it is a stupid
rule. If someone makes an incorrect comparison, one can just point it out
and explain why. Having the rule makes it seem as if the explanation is
unimportant, or that somehow "This violates Godwin's rule" provides an
explanation. It doesn't.