[Vision2020] Saint Augustine: "Hypocrisy is the tribute thatvice pays to virtue."

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Thu May 12 09:37:19 PDT 2011

Thank you Shirley for a thoughtful reply.

Linda and I spend quite a bit of time in Canada pursuing our hiking, climbing, and wildlife/wildfowl observation interests.  We read the newspapers while there and follow them on the internet from here.

The Canadian media has covered the tar sands projects extensively, and even the most conservative media have pointed out some of the problems of the tar sands projects including the 2000% increase in cancer rates among the First Nations peoples downstream from these projects, the amount of water used in the conversion processes, and the amount of water and air pollution the relatively small projects so far have produced.  Googling the major Alberta newspapers will supply those not wishing to be terminally ignorant on this issue with lots of information.

We very much, but disheartenly agree with you about the lack of responsibility in our current state leadership.  I am sorry that the powers in charge are so ignorant, arrogant, and insensitive to the problems inherent in the tar sands projects.  By their nonchalance they are leaving a legacy that in time will dwarf that of our unconscionably large national debt.

I had hoped that Moscow could put a roadblock in the path of the megaloads (which should have been routed through Canada in the first place), and with some creative and determined effort, it could erect such a roadblock.  But it appears that either due to the lack of diligence, knowledge, and/or caring by some of our local leaders, this probably will not happen.  In this case local leadership is simply voluntary roadkill; their lack of leadership makes all of us roadkill also.

As for the ITD, Tom Trail and I have been working to solve two very dangerous situations on U.S. 95 for two years.  For our efforts we have but unfulfilled promises and a change that has made one of the situations even more dangerous.  Both of these problems could be solved easily, quickly, and cheaply with some signage and repainting of lines.  The ITD gives less than a rat's ass about public concerns despite their twangy, hypocritical lip service.

Thank you Shirley and Tom for being the voices of concern and hope on the megaload issue.  I am glad I am old and will not live to see the horrible long range consequences of this folly and to see what other catastrophes will occur because big money buys its way.  The public should have learned from the last few years:  The goals and actions of big money are seldom in the overall public interests in this current era.

Wayne A. Fox
1009 Karen Lane
PO Box 9421
Moscow, ID  83843