[Vision2020] Angry Hens

Gier, Nicholas NGIER at uidaho.edu
Fri May 6 08:45:52 PDT 2011

Dear Kai and Paul,

The Wilson controversy is not about liberals and conservatives; rather, it is about a form of religious extremism that conservatives ought to and many have condemned.

Wilson and his friend Steve Wilkins have been kicked out of the most conservative Calvinist denomination.  On the academic side Wilson has dissed the UI and even most other evangelical colleges.  For us collegiality is a virtue, but Wilson has made it a vice for evangelicals to uphold academic standards at their excellent liberal arts colleges and cooperate with non-Christians.

I will be once again meeting with these fine Christian scholars at the Pacific Northwest American Academy of Religion in Spokane May 14-16.  Each year I invite NSA faculty and staff to participate and each year they refuse, even when it was in Moscow in 2003.  I have supported evangelical candidates to become president of the region just as they voted for me to be president in 2003.  To Wilson and his minions that would have been equivalent to voting for the Devil.

Wilson and Wilkins, thanks to leads to me and others from a disgruntled Christ Church member, were found to have plagiarized 20 percent of their slavery booklet.  A history professor at UW, who was a member of Wilson's mission church in Seattle, begged him to disavow and withdraw the positions taken in the slavery booklet but Wilson refused.  Wilson has been discredited time and time again; he stands condemned in religious and academic circles; he does not deserve any respect from anyone or any organization.

As I have posted many times, I written a book on evangelical Christians and I praise the ones who understand and respect academic studies of the history of Christianity and are intellectually honest about what can and cannot be proved in the context of the Christian faith.  All but one chapter of that book "God, Reason, and the Evangelicals" can be found at www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/gre.htm.

This is not intolerance of Christians or an attempt to limit free speech; rather, it is intolerance of intellectual dishonesty, incivility, and indecency.  That is why I and others wear the badge "intolerista" (Wilson's word) with great honor.

Nick

Nicholas F. Gier, Professor Emeritus
Department of Philosophy, University of Idaho
"The Palouse Pundit" on Radio Free Moscow, 92.5 FM
President, Idaho Federation of Teachers, AFT/AFL-CIO www.idaho-aft.org/ift.htm