[Vision2020] Tomorrow's storm ...

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Wed Mar 30 01:09:07 PDT 2011

On Tuesday 29 March 2011 22:41:53 Dave wrote:
> ... aside from projected 50 MPH winds, is coming directly from Japan.  I
> know some would just call me paranoid, but stay out of the frickin rain.
>

> http://sat.wrh.noaa.gov/satellite/loopsat.php?wfo=otx&area=west&type=ir&siz
> e=28
> <http://sat.wrh.noaa.gov/satellite/loopsat.php?wfo=otx&area=west&type=ir&s
> ize=28>

For however much comfort or lack thereof you choose to assign to these
numbers, here are the daily readings the Washington State Health Department
have taken since 3 March 2011:

http://www.doh.wa.gov/topics/japan/monitor-history.htm

Here is the text from the link above:

"Radiation from the damaged nuclear reactors in Japan is not a health risk in
Washington. The Department of Health takes hourly measurements from monitors
in four locations throughout the state — Richland, Seattle, Spokane, and
Tumwater. This page shows a history of daily measurements since March 3, 2011.
The data is updated each weekday. Weekend information will be posted to this
page on Mondays by 3 p.m. unless otherwise noted.

The chart shows radiations measures known as “gross beta,” a term that refers
to all radioactive materials that emit beta radiation. Gross beta measurements
are used because they give us the fastest indication of any change in
radiation levels. They’re measured in “counts per minute.”

All monitoring stations have continually shown normal background levels of
radiation. The annual average measurement at our Tumwater air monitor for 2010
was 25 counts per minute. The levels would have to be at least hundreds of
thousands of times higher than these readings before state health officials
would recommend protective actions.

We don’t expect to see significant increases in gross beta as a result of the
nuclear accident in Japan . If that did happen, we would measure specific
isotopes in order to determine if steps are needed to protect public health."

So, at present, the biggest danger from being out in the rain is getting one's
clothing soaked, which, in an unattended worst case, might result in a Boolean
catastrophe, but not radiation sickness.

Ken