[Vision2020] Firearms on campus

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Mar 22 16:25:46 PDT 2011

Phillip Nelsen stated:

"It is also interesting to note that there is a gun range located below
the Memorial Gym . . . "

I may not be a second year law student, as my degree is in Information
Systems. but look what I done found in (virtually) milliseconds . . .

The UI Administrative Procedure Manual. Section 35.35 (Public Use and
Liabilities), Paragraph H (Weapons and Explosives), sub-paragraph iii . .
.

"iii) Firearms may be brought onto campus for use in the Memorial Gym
firing range in accordance with firing range rules. Firearms must be
transported to the range unloaded, encased, with a trigger lock attached
or otherwise rendered inoperable."

Additional research (a term that should be quite intimate to a law
student) further disclosed (after a 3-minute, 14-second phone call to the
administrative office of UI Army ROTC) that this "gun range" is used by
the Army ROTC unit for training and qualification.

and the Realist adjusts his sails."

- Unknown