[Vision2020] Legislative Newsletter VII February 28-March 4, 2011

Rep. Tom Trail ttrail at moscow.com
Sat Mar 5 07:26:25 PST 2011

LEGISLATIVE NEWSLETTER VII--FEBRUARY 28-MARCH 4/2011

Constituents:

     I urge you to take a look at the attachment which features the many
challenges our school teachers face here in Idaho.    The House
Education Committee heard about 12 hours of testimony this past week
regarding SB's 1108 and 1110.    SB1108 focuses on
teacher/administrator employment issues by limiting collective
bargaining to salaries and benefits and creating one and two year
contracts for new hires as well as tying evaluations to student
achievement.  The bill would also lift the protective 99% cap for
rural school districts.    This would be a disaster when many rural
school districts have already been cut to the bone.  I understand
that the Council School District may soon declare bankruptcy.   I
pointed out in testimony that State Treasurer, Ron Crane, had
testified in Committee that if a school district went bankrupt that
it negatively impact on the State's bond rating.   This would have
financial repercussions throughout the state.

     SB1110 that focuses on the pay for performance has major funding
issues.  The plan projects that $38 million is needed in FY2013 and
goes to $51 million in the years that follow.   The basic funding
would come from the passage of SB1113 which calls for the elimination
of over 700 teaching position, purchase of laptop computers for high
school students, and increasing online classes.   This bill is being
held in the Senate, but there are obvious problems if this funding
source is eliminated.   No doubt, the bill will be rewritten in some
form.    So the Ides of March march on to the drum beat of Mr. Luna.
  If all of these bills pass then I think that I will have captured
the essence of the future outcomes in the following Teacher
Recruitment Ad:

IDAHO TEACHERS NEEDED--COME TO BEAUTIFUL IDAHO WHERE CORPORATE AMERICA
RATES FIRST--TEACHERS WILL ENJOY THE FOLLOWING BENEFITS AND CHALLENGES:

* BEGINNING SALARY OF $30,000/YEAR WITH NO ANTICIPATED INCREASES FOR SIX
YEARS.

* YOU AND YOUR FAMILY MAY QUALIFY FOR FOOD STAMPS, MEDICADE, AND FREE OR
REDUCED SCHOOL LUNCHES

* ENJOY THE CHALLENGE OF NEEDING TO WORK AT ONE OR TWO MORE JOBS IN ORDER
TO SUPPORT  YOUR FAMILY.

* EXPERIENCE THE CHALLENGE OF LARGE SIZE CLASSES WITH FIVE OR SIX SPECIAL
NEEDS STUDENTS IN THE MIX.

*IN RURAL DISTRICTS YOUR CONTRACT MIGHT BE TERMINATED IN EARLY OCTOBER IF
DISTRICT FUNDING IS CUT.

* IN CASE OF DISPUTES ARISING FROM YOUR ASSIGNMENT YOU HAVE NO DUE PROCESS
PROTECTION

* UNDER PAY FOR PERFORMANCE YOU ARE HELD 100 PERCENT ACCOUNTABLE FOR
IMPROVING STUDENT PERFORMANCE.

* IN YOUR SPARE TIME YOU CAN LISTEN TO INSPIRATIONAL SPEECHES BY OUR
SUPERINTENDENT OF PUBLIC INSTRUCTION.

* CONTRIBUTE TO HELPING MOVING IDAHO INTO A THIRD WORLD EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT THE IDAHO SPI- -BUT SEND A SELF ADDRESSED
AND STAMPED ENVELOPE

While there is perhaps some tongue in cheek in this ad, is also reflects
about 95% the views expressed by those whose testified about the bills in
the House Education Committee.

 1.  Budget  --  The latest budget data indicates that we are facing a $98
million hole.   It is anticipated that there will be about a $50 million
cut in education and $35 million in the Medicaid Program.  The Higher
Education budget was down by about 3.5% or about $7.7 million.
Obviously, tuition increases will have to be made.

 2.  Ag Research and Extension Budget  --  Agriculture is the most
important element in the State's economy, and so it was gratifying that
there are no cuts in the budget at this time.

 3.  HB210  --  Right to Farm Act  --  this bill is strongly supported by
Idaho's farming industry.  The bill broadens the law to include the
activity of farming.  The bill comprehensively defines farming activities
that are protected by the act.    Improper or negligent operations and
operations that adversely affect public health and safety are not
protected from nuisance.   An Attorney General's opinion said actions
under the bill do not constitute a takings nor does it impair the
authority of a planning and zoning commission.

That's all for this week.   Please send me your comments and
recommendations.    My e mail is ttrail at house.idaho.gov and phone
208-332-1184

Thanks,
Rep. Tom Trail