[Vision2020] Caturday (March 5, 2011)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Mar 5 07:05:35 PST 2011

Courtesy of the Palm Beach Post (Palm Beach, Florida) at:

http://tinyurl.com/Palm-Beach-Post-Article

Two kittens stuck inside home's walls rescued in South Florida

By Juan Ortega
Sun Sentinel

Joy Seward thought everything was back to normal Wednesday morning when
she heard the sound coming from her walls again: meowing, getting louder
and louder.

She checked if it was the kitten that firefighters had spent hours freeing
from a bedroom wall the night before. But that feline was still asleep,
cozily rolled up on a towel in a cardboard box next to Seward's bed.

"I thought it was all taken care of," said Seward, 73, a retired U.S.
Postal Service clerk. "I got up today and when I started hearing the
meowing again I said, oh no!"

So Wednesday, for the second time in as many days, a Broward Sheriff Fire
Rescue crew freed a kitten from inside the walls of Seward's home, on the
3000 block of Southwest 40th Street.

Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue makes service calls, like the two cat rescues
at Seward's place, between emergencies that get priority, spokesman Mike
Jachles said.

The rescues took a total of just under six hours over the two days, Seward
said. She wasn't sure how the kittens got trapped, but suspects a stray
female who hangs out on her roof.

"The only thing I can figure is that she must have brought these kittens
up there in her mouth when they were a little smaller, and put them up
there for safekeeping," Seward said. Perhaps the kittens made it from the
roof into a crawl space, then fell.

Rescuing cats and other pets is a traditional firefighter task. In this
case, a special modern camera helped locate the kittens.

"We had to make a couple of holes in the wall to actually get our search
cam in," said Steffen Majer, a paramedic/firefighter. One more hole, and
the cat was freed.

A sheriff's sergeant arranged for a contractor friend to repair Seward's
walls for free Wednesday afternoon, Jachles said.

A cat lover, Seward already has three indoor kitties. So she was happy
when someone claimed the kittens Wednesday afternoon, promising to provide
a good home.

"Problem solved," she said.

Video

http://tinyurl.com/Kittens-Trapped-Inside-Wall