[Vision2020] Certainly No Thinking Person is Surprised . . .

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Jun 25 11:34:23 PDT 2011

A few other guidelines established by the Redistricting Commission at:

http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/redistricting/guidelines.htm

"Gerrymandering: The creation of bizarrely-shaped districts in order to
string together voters of a particular race will be given strict scrutiny
by the courts and struck down if race was the predominant factor in the
creation of the districts. Further, oddly-shaped districts for ANY reason
are disfavored under Idaho law."

Oddly-shaped districts?  Ya mean like the Idaho legislative district 7
that may result from this gerrymandering . . . er, uh . . . I mean
redistricting that will extract Moscow from Latah County?

and . . .

"Legislative districts in Idaho must not divide counties in order to
protect an incumbent or PARTY [my emphasis]."

I mean . . . GET REAL!

This gerrymandering . . . er, uh . . . I mean this redistricting (solidly
supported by right-wingers Bauer and Bouma) wouldn't be an attempt to
unseat Reps Tom Trail and Shirley Ringo (each having been re-elected for
the umpteenth time) and freshman Sen. Dan Schmidt (who soundly defeated
Bouma in November), would it?

However, if the attempt to force Moscow out of Idaho's 6th should fail,
perhaps the aforementioned right-wingers should hold a condolences tea
party (pun intended).  Gresham Bouma could bring the whine.

OK?

and the Realist adjusts his sails."

- Author Unknown