[Vision2020] Certainly No Thinking Person is Surprised . . .

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Sat Jun 25 11:07:06 PDT 2011

Just some background information.
I was appointed to the Republican Redistricting Task Force. Our job was to recommend 3 people for the redistricting
Commission. The Actual appoint ments were made by the Legislature  and the Governor. Three  people were also appoint by the Democrats. This is a 6 member board and there is equal representation by both parties, even though the Republicans hold 80% of the seats. There are some fairly strict guide lines set out for them to follow. A few of them are -
1. 44,000 in size give or take 5%. 2. Keep counties intact as much as possible, but there will have to be some division. 3. should be contiguous, access by major highway. There are many more but these are the main one. Some possibilities would be to take part of Lewiston and put in with district 6. This is probably not feasible. Put  Elk River and Orofinio in District 6. Not feasible because good access is through Nez Peirce. Put St Maries in District 6.  Split Latah, part going in with Lewiston and part going in with Benewah, and Kootenai or Shoshone. U. S. congressional districts 1 and 2 must also be redrawn.
Any one can go online To Idaho redistricting , access the map and submit their ideas. Threre are 35 districts. Reducing it to 30 districts is also a possibility.
Roger