[Vision2020] City to Perform Sanitary Sewer Smoke Testing

Stephanie Kalasz skalasz at ci.moscow.id.us
Wed Jun 15 14:56:01 PDT 2011

City of Moscow
206 E Third Street
Moscow, ID 83843
Contact: Gary J. Riedner, City Supervisor
p     |  208-883-7006
e     |   griedner at ci.moscow.id.us<mailto:griedner at ci.moscow.id.us>
w    |  www.ci.moscow.id.us<http://www.ci.moscow.id.us>

PRESS RELEASE
City to Perform Sanitary Sewer Smoke Testing

June 15, 2011 (Moscow, Idaho) - The City of Moscow Wastewater Collections Department will be performing Sanitary Sewer Smoke Testing from June 20 - 24, 2011.  Smoke testing is used to detect any sewer line breaks or defects and also identify locations where storm water unnecessarily enters the sanitary sewer system.
The area to be tested will include both public and private properties between Washington and Jackson Streets from Seventh St. to A St.  Individual door hangers with contact and other information will be dispersed to those in the target area prior to testing.
Testing will take place from 7:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday through Friday.  During these hours residents and business owners should expect to see smoke escaping from man holes, catch basins and roof vents.  This smoke is non-toxic, non-staining and harmless to people, plants and animals. There is no fire hazard associated with smoke testing.
On rare occasions during testing, smoke may enter homes or businesses through sinks or drains with dry traps.  To help avoid this we recommend that residents in the target area pour water into all sinks and floor drains occasionally for the duration of our testing period.
If you have questions or concerns, please contact David Richardson, Utility Operations Supervisor at 208-883-7108.

###

Story Contact: David Richardson, Utility Operations Supervisor
Phone: 208-883-7108
Email: drichardson at ci.moscow.id.us<mailto:drichardson at ci.moscow.id.us>

The City of Moscow delivers quality municipal services while ensuring responsible use of resources. We anticipate and meet the needs of our diverse population in order to build public trust and enhance a sense of community.

Jen Pfiffner
Assistant to the City Supervisor
City of Moscow
PO Box 9203 | 206 E Third Street