[Vision2020] Two Seperate Issues

deb debismith at moscow.com
Wed Jun 8 19:08:08 PDT 2011

A repeat (with a few additions) of my post from last week just for Hank!

At this point, even though I have Canadian friends who argue the pros and cons in my presence, I don't have any strong opinions about the oil sands. I'm listening to everything and doing my research. So the argument that I am against big oil is not credible (yet).

 However, I have yet to hear of anyone in Idaho, except the Port of Lewiston, making any money from this deal, at least openly. Who knows what deals lined whose pockets in backrooms full of good brandy and shrimp cocktail.....And the Port wouldn't have made anything much if there had been no protests holding up the movement of the loads. Enough money was spent on those ridiculous lying ads in the Tribune to have compensated every "power outage" (from Exxon negligence) resident $300 each...

Meantime, I live 500 yards off Highway 95 north of Moscow, and have an organic practices farm which produces food for the residents of Moscow, Pullman, Viola, and Potlatch. I watched the mess the DOT made of Steakhouse Hill while "making it more safe" for travelers going north, putting in a "passing" lane and a turn-off, only to increase both the speed of traveling idiots and the number of tragic accidents on the hill. I also know how unstable the roadside slopes are, particularly since the power company and the cable company, in cahoots with the county, clear- cut those hillsides. They already show signs of erosion with this wet spring. Now we may have huge loads rumbling through, further destabilizing the slopes. I don't care if those trucks are hauling Beanie Babies, Smuckers Jam, widgets, or paper napkins. They are a freaking menace!!

I actually heard at the "mega-loads info meeting" (which I left after 45 minutes, knowing it was pro forma) that these loads will be only as noisy as a chip truck. Pardon me? At 4 am a jake-brake sounds like Armaggedon out here. An empty chip truck in the middle of the day is enough to wake the dead. We have to stop conversations until sixteen wheelers have passed. Of course, that has been a bigger problem since the clear-cut by Clearwater Power and TimeWarner Cable took out our sound barrier....
I suppose it's really OK, as the people who rammed this through are not the ones who will be jerked out of hospital bed as the trucks go past Gritman, nor are they the country dwellers who get precious little sleep anywayand are awakened at 4 am....Blessed be those who pass trials and travails onto others, may they rest peacefully all night long....and be voted out of office ASAP.

And the impact on tourism? Huge.....just the notion that Idaho allows this crap is enough to keep lots of tourists away....I have heard from friends in Delaware, Ohio, and even (surprise!) Texas that they plan to give Idaho a miss this year due to the mega-load-mess.....and Couer d'Alene is just now finding out and weighing in.....Ill planned, poorly executed, and very expensive for the oil company. Who's making money? Follow the money....
Debi R-S