[Vision2020] "The Last American Hippie"

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Thu Jun 9 09:35:59 PDT 2011

"The Last American Hippie"
Ronald Doe (February 21, 2007)

Back in the sixties, we saw the hippies
Making symbols and the sign of peace
We saw them praying and heard them saying
All this senseless fighting has to cease

They would demonstrate, defiantly stated
Hate is now The America Way
We saw them all cry and ask the Lord why
When an assassin killed J.F.K.

Back in the sixties, we saw the hippies
Kneel and pray to the Lord up above
Above everything we heard them all sing
“What the world need now is love sweet love”

Every single night our Civil Rights
Was another song they’d proudly sing
Then on April Fourth, they bravely marched forth
When an assassin killed Doctor King

Back in the sixties, we heard the hippies
Always ask what is Vietnam for
With fancy designs, they would make up signs
Telling the world to “Make Love Not War”

We saw them rally and sadly tally
Number of soldiers that died each day
We witnessed their fears and we saw their tears
When an assassin killed R.F.K.

Back in the sixties, we heard the hippies
Telling the world “Love your fellow man”
But even back then, American men
Did not agree with the hippies stand

They were ridiculed, they were not well schooled
To their long hair people were snippy
Up until they saw what it was all for
With The Last American Hippie

Back in the sixties, last of the hippies
Walked right up to us and said, “Hey man”
Gave the sign of peace and made our hate cease
With a love song we now understand

Standing side by side and singing with pride
For fallen soldiers and God above
We realized somehow, “What the world needs now”
Till this very day "is love sweet love"

It’s the only thing there’s just too little of

Solid, Moscow!

"For well you know that it's a fool who plays it cool
By making his world a little colder."

- The Beatles