[Vision2020] My Column / Megaloads & Hippies

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Jun 8 20:03:49 PDT 2011

henry Johnston stated:

"As far as the action of the council goes - it is what it is.  Walter made
a political statement more than anything and the council agreed with him.
It wasn't a resolution - if you watch the video the language was changed
to make it a positional statement."

When asked by Council Member Wayne Krauss during the May 16th city council
session under what authority Walter Steed can make such a
motion/statement, CitY Supervisor Gary Riedner cited authority as he read
from "Robert's Book of Rules" . . .

"After the presentation of a report of an officer, a board or a committee,
one or more motions to carry out recommendations contained in the report
may be introduced.  Motion may also grow out of the presentation of a
written communication of the assembly."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dM12GbCbKQ

I fail to see ANY authority, within the citation, that provides Council
Member Steed to make a motion or present a resolution without
"recommendations contained in the report" or "a written communication of
the assembly."

Two weeks ago my question concerning proper authority for Walter Steed
make such a statement a matter of record for this agenda item of May 16th
was submitted to Mayor Chaney, Supervisor Riedner, and members of the city
council.

I await their response.