[Vision2020] My Column / Megaloads & Hippies

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 8 06:45:14 PDT 2011

On 06/08/2011 12:18 AM, Ted Moffett wrote:
> Note he does not address any of the objections expressed on
> Vision2020, to the facts or logic in his column, in his response on
> Vision2020.

On the other hand, I haven't seen anyone here address his main point,
i.e. that the highways are public and the need for a special permit
because of large load size shouldn't be used as an excuse to
discriminate against businesses that some people disagree with.

I'm not necessarily behind giving the megaloads a free pass, since I
think that Sunil's points about the noise and the lack of public input
at the council meeting are good ones, but I do think that if people here
object to the Kearl oil sands project there are better ways of
expressing that opinion than to throw bureaucratic roadblocks (no pun
intended) in their way just because we have the opportunity to do so.

Paul