[Vision2020] My Column / Megaloads & Hippies

Sunil Ramalingam sunilramalingam at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 7 22:28:22 PDT 2011

Henry,

I dare say if Brett, who in my experience is a gentle person, intended to lynch you, I think he would have left V2020 off his address list.

I have a couple of questions for you. You wrote, "In my book, doing so is akin to stopping a funeral procession on its way to the cemetery because you disagree with burial as a way to care for our dead."

Can you explain how the environmental damage from a single burial compares to that done by the oil sands project? In hindsight, don't you think that's a pretty weak analogy?

Do you really think that people leaving downtown bars are going to be as loud as these loads?

Most important, do you think the council gave its constituents enough notice that they would be passing a resolution on this issue, and took enough comments from those constituents?

Finally, do you think that defining those who oppose the shipments as hippies really moves serious dialog forward? Perhaps this is the humor you refer to, but it comes across as a trite stereotype.

I will be away from my computer for the next few days, but look forward to your response when you get a chance. I may be tardy in my own response, but will be as timely as I can.

Sunil