[Vision2020] Megaloads and Hippies

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Tue Jun 7 12:54:24 PDT 2011

On Tuesday 07 June 2011 11:01:51 Art Deco wrote:
> So by arrogantly ignoring the long range effects of the megaloads, and by
> not asking not only for the actual costs, but the displacement costs as
> well, the Moscow City Council not only failed to protect humankind, but
> failed to protect the financial interests of their constituents.

If the megaloads are allowed to roll along Highway 95 at night, other truckers
with their loads will avoid Highway 95 at night and drive during the daytime.
Whether they will choose Highway 95 or Washington's 195 between Spokane and
Lewiston may depend on whether they must deliver along Highway 95. However, an
increase in total daytime traffic, truck and all others, appears inevitable.

More north-south traffic will have more effects on Moscow's east-west traffic,
especially at times when school days and work days begin and end for many.
These increases in traffic congestion will lead to more need for traffic controls
in the form of control lights, street lights, signage, and other appurtenances
of more active arterials and busier byways. Kid-friendlier sidewalks might
become more popular. In other words, megaloads likely mean more transportation
infrastructure control dollars will be at least considered for expenditure.

Secondary and tertiary effects may be somewhat premature for discussion, but
changing traffic patterns and volumes can have property value effects, which can
have property tax effects. These coupled with general conditions affecting the
real estate markets may raise uncertainties and related effects as a result.

We don't yet know the total cost of megaload consideration and operation, but
the time and efforts required to consider the complex situations resulting from
megaloads represent opportunity costs already incurred.

Ken