[Vision2020] Megaloads and Hippies

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 12:31:27 PDT 2011

"It has been a long time since Moscow's hippies have dug out their leather
vests, put on their Birkenstocks and readjusted their graying ponytails in
an effort to rally "the movement" against "the man." There's something
about a protest to get the blood pumping and, as the Berkeley of north
Idaho, Moscow really knows how to throw one."

Moscow-Pullman Daily News - DNews.com
HIS VIEW: An issue of facts, not emotions

By Henry D. Johnston
June 7, 2011
---------------
This paragraph indulges in gross oversimplification and bigoted
stereotyping of the individuals, and their varied reasoning, who raise
objections to the mega-loads passage through Idaho.  Highly ironic,
given the heading "An issue of facts, not emotions."

There is a diverse group with concerns over the mega-loads, who cannot
accurately be reduced to the ridiculous mocking stereotype of a
"hippie" described.  And the so called "protest" regarding the
mega-loads was smaller than several other public actions in Moscow in
recent years.  Perhaps Mr. Johnston should become more informed about
Moscow's rallies before claiming "it has been a long time" since a
rally of "the movement," whatever that is.

I don't know exactly who "the man" is who some are against, referred
to in this pathetic excuse for analysis, but other protests in Moscow
in recent years focused on civil rights, war, and overthrowing a
dictator, issues that often transcend and unify people of diverse
political, religious and lifestyle orientations.

The largest protests, rallies, actions, I have witnessed in Moscow in
the past decade involved the civil rights march from the SUB to the
administration building on the U of I, associated with the book
"Southern Slavery As It Was"  (
http://www.tomandrodna.com/notonthepalouse/ ), that featured a rousing
civil rights speech to a packed house in St. Augustines center on the
U of I campus before the march; an anti-war protest from Friendship
Square to Perimeter Dr. along the Moscow-Pullman Hwy.
( http://www.palousepeace.org/ ); and the solidarity march from the U
of I to Main St. recently held by U of I students rallying in support
of the recent uprising in Egypt.  I accidently got caught up in this
mostly U of I student march and was amazed by the number of
participants and the fervor of their behavior:
http://www.krem.com/news/local/U-of-I-students-hold-March-of-Solidarity-in-support-of-Egypt-115333979.html
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett