[Vision2020] Caturday (July 9, 2011)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Jul 9 08:40:57 PDT 2011

Courtesy of the Chronicle (Toowoomba, Australia) at:

http://www.thechronicle.com.au/story/2011/07/07/cat-comes-back-to-test-truth
-of-adage/

Cat Comes Back to Test Adage

After five weeks trapped in a store room, Socks the cat is finally back in
Wendy Gehrke's caring arms - and she does not want to let go.

The cat's remarkable survival story started on May 29 when he took flight
from his Rangeville home during a storm.

Since then, Ms Gehrke has been scouring the streets for any sign of her
wandering tabby.

On Saturday, just when it looked like all hope was gone, the phone rang with
some good news.

"I wish I could bottle that moment," Ms Gehrke said.

The call was from a neighbour who had just returned from England to find one
very skinny, very dirty cat trapped in her store room.

"When they opened the door, he shot out like a rocket into bushland," Ms
Gehrke said.

After an unfruitful search, Ms Gehrke returned home to pray.

"I just kept praying and asking God, wherever Socks was, to send him a
mouse," she said.

"Then I heard a meow and here was my cat, about a third of the size he was!"

"I don't know how he survived - there was no food or water anywhere in that
room - but if they had any mice, they're gone now."

Since Saturday, the roving feline has doubled his weight under a strict
feeding regime.

"I fed him a dessert spoon of food and a saucer of water every half-hour,"
Ms Gehrke said.

"He thought his throat had been cut - how dare I give him so little food!"

Now the curious cat is back to health, Ms Gehrke will not let him leave her
sight. "It's something that really tests you," she said.

Dr Louis Gilshenan from Toowoomba Veterinary Hospital said it was a
remarkable survival story, but believed Socks must have been getting
moisture from somewhere.

"Cats are incredibly hardy animals, just the ability to live without food
for five weeks is amazing."

Wendy Gehrke cuddles up with Socks the cat, five weeks after he went missing
from her Rangeville home.

TCH_07-07-2011_PAGE_3_01_TWB050711socks03_t325.jpg

http://media.apnonline.com.au/img/media/images/2011/07/06/TCH_07-07-2011_PAG
E_3_01_TWB050711socks03_t325.jpg

Seeya at the Park Bench Dedication Ceremony at 3:00 pm in East City Park to

pay tribute to Bob Greene, Rep. Shirley Ringo, and Rep. Tom Trail, Moscow.