[Vision2020] 2011 Miss USA contestants answer "Should evolution betaught in schools?"

Sue Hovey suehovey at moscow.com
Fri Jul 8 18:15:09 PDT 2011

Ken,   I finally got around to watching the video, and personally I think
the question was absolutely disingenuous.  Don't  you imagine these women
are taught to be politic rather than straightforward?  Obviously, most
replied in a way that left me believing the term "theory" needs some
attention, as well.   I don't even know who won, but I though Miss Vermont's
response was clear.  Most of the rest were struggling with the notion of
trying to please everyone with their response.  I wouldn't take this as a
snapshot of American science education, however I recently read an article
regarding the teaching of evolution in American Secondary Schools and a
significant number of the responding science teachers said they didn't spend
much (or even any) time on evolutionary theory.  That, to me, is a
significant problem.  How does one learn biology if you aren't taught its
underpinnings?   The report did include respondents from more than public
schools.

Interesting video though.

Sue H.