[Vision2020] that Jared guy and mental health

Dan Carscallen areaman at moscow.com
Fri Jan 28 09:52:18 PST 2011

And from that site:

"The National Firearms Act

 Since 1934 the Federal Government has regulated the ownership of machine
guns and several other types of weapons.

The National Firearms Act of 1934 provides for the registration, and the
taxing of the transfer, of a class of weapons described as NFA Title 2
weapons (sometimes referred to as "Class 3 weapons"). These include machine
guns, short barreled rifles, short barreled shotguns, silencers (also known
as suppressors) and also a class of weapons known as "Any Other Weapon"
(AOW). An example of an AOW is, but not limited to, a smooth barreled pistol
or a short barreled combination gun.

 The transfer tax on machine guns, short barreled rifles, short barreled
shotguns, and suppressors is $200. The transfer tax on AOWs is $5. This
transfer tax is a one time only tax and not an annual tax. Each time an NFA
weapon changes hands, the tax is charged.

 The paperwork required for the transfer of an NFA weapon consists of an
application form with the applicant's photograph attached and a fingerprint
card. These are submitted the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms in
duplicate along with the transfer tax. The finger print cards are forwarded
to the FBI for a background check; not very different from a background
check that would be performed for a "Secret Level" security clearance. The
background check and transfer process takes about 3 months or so depending
on the examiners' work load.

 One copy of the approved application is sent back to the dealer (or seller
of the weapon). The dealer contacts the buyer and makes the physical
transfer of the weapon at that time. The approved application stays with the
weapon and is proof that the buyer has paid the transfer tax. The original
should be stored in a safe place and a photocopy carried with the weapon
should the legality of the NFA weapon be questioned by law enforcement
officers.

 The new manufacture of machine guns or the conversion of semi auto weapons
to full auto weapons that are transferable to individuals has been
prohibited since May 19, 1986. This means that all transferable machine guns
that are available for sale to the general public must have been
manufactured and registered prior to May 19, 1986."

Yes, you can legally own a fully automatic weapon.  But you have to work at
it.  And the ATF will know.

Personally, I don't have the time or inclination, or I would have googled it
myself and contacted them.

Your pal,

DC