[Vision2020] Computer question

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Wed Jan 26 17:25:47 PST 2011

On Wednesday 26 January 2011 16:03:24 Carl Westberg wrote:
> Being on a tight budget, I replaced my old computer with an Acer One D255
> netbook, which really has all that I personally need in a computer.  It's
> a great little machine, but it came equipped with Internet Explorer, which
> I hate, or to put more civilly, dislike with extreme prejudice.  Specs are
> Intel Atom processor, 1.5Ghz, 1 MB L2 cache; Memory, 1 GB DDR3 memory;
> Storage, 250 GB HDD.  (I have no idea what I just typed).  Would I be able
> to download Mozilla Firefox on this little guy and dump @&*! Internet
> Explorer?

Yes, you should be able to add Firefox to your netbook, and at least just
choose not to use Internet Explorer. Whether Microsoft's browser can be
removed without negatively affecting other Windows activities is a little
controversial. Microsoft has resisted allowing customers to remove IE, but
some courts have ordered Microsoft to make it removable. I suspect it is
removable, but it may take some research and careful tech support to do it.

At least you can install and use Firefox, and ignore Internet Explorer.

By the way, the Atom processor is just an Intel Corporation nameplate, or
brand name, for a processor designed to do several, usually separate,
processes inside a mobile computer, and to use less battery power in the
process of doing its jobs. The 1.5 GHz refers to the maximum frequency of the
computational cycle being one and a half billion cycles per second. The
netbook may idle along at slower speeds, but when there is a lot to do, its
top speed is 1.5 gigahertz.

The next three items refer to types of data storage that have different
retrieval times. The 1 MB L2 cache is a million characters of level two cache,
the quickest kind of memory. L2 is like a small, quick-to-use space right next
to the piece of paper on which you're using your fountain pen; it's like a
desk blotter offering handy retrieval. The 1 GB of DDR3 memory is a billion
characters of slower, but still really quick, working memory space. It's like
having a desktop a thousand times bigger than the blotter. The 250 GB HDD is a
relatively slower, but more capacious, hard disk drive for longer term storage
area that holds 250 billion characters of everything, including Windows,
Firefox, and all of your other programs and data. This is like having a set of
filing cabinets near the desktop. Data files remain in the filing cabinets even
while copies of them are on the desk top being used.

Here's a link to a Microsoft Knowledge Base article about how to remove
Internet Explorer 8 from Windows 7.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700#stepsforwin7

I notice the article itself has a version number 12 attached to it, so these
instructions have been changing over time, and may, or may not, tell all that
needs to be known about the procedure and consequences of IE8 removal.

Ken