[Vision2020] Jus' When You Thought Things Couln't Get MoreStupid . . .

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Jan 25 08:01:20 PST 2011

This issue may not be solved locally.

Perhaps Mr. Tribble should have included the state of Idaho and Governor
Otter in his complaint.

Restrictions against possession of weapons/firearms on school campuses
extends beyond the University of Idaho Administrative Procedural Manual,
as he (Tribble) cites in his complaint.

http://www.moscowcares.com/tribblesboe/CV2011_0069_Complaint_011811.pdf

Paragraph 18-3302D (Possessing weapons or firearms on school property) of
Chapter 33 (Firearms, Explosives, and Other Deadly Weapons), Title 18
(Crimes and Punishments) of the Idaho Code states:

http://legislature.idaho.gov/idstat/Title18/T18CH33SECT18-3302D.htm

"It shall be unlawful and is a misdemeanor for any person to possess a
firearm or other deadly or dangerous weapon while on the property of a
school or in those portions of any building, stadium or other structure on
school grounds which, at the time of the violation, were being used for an
activity sponsored by or through a school in this state or while riding
school provided transportation."

And. just in case you are curious, you might be surprised to see how
lenient UI is concerning this issue when compared to other public
universities.

I googled "weapons in state owned housing university" and found . . .

http://tinyurl.com/Weapons-on-public-universities

For instance, at DePauw University in Greencastle, Indiana:

http://www.depauw.edu/student/housing/policy_all.asp#prohibited

"Firearms or weapons (including BB and airsoft guns, bows and arrows,
knives/swords/daggers with blades longer than four inches, explosives and
any type of launcher) are not permitted in living units."

Seeya round town, Moscow.