[Vision2020] Sense or Nonsense in Public Involvement

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Jan 19 04:22:20 PST 2011

Courtesy of today's (January 19, 2011) Spokesman-Review.

TOWN CRIER IV: Sense or nonsense in public involvement
By John Carlson
January 19, 2011

I am thankful we live in a free country where we are able to express our
opinions on matters that affect our lives. However, there are times when
public involvement moves from a sensible discussion of relevant issues to
the point of being nonsense and a hindrance to meaningful compromise. Such
is the case in the debates over the Upper Lochsa Land Exchange and the
transportation of megaloads over U.S. Highway 12 to Montana.

I agree with Clearwater National Forest Supervisor Rick Brazell that an
extension of the public comment period is unnecessary. He is no doubt
aware of every possible opposing argument. They can be summed up in a few
words - buy the Upper Lochsa lands outright and don't trade away the
national forest land in my backyard. I can understand that argument, but
since our federal deficit is already out of control it is unlikely the
money for an outright purchase will be available any time soon.

A look at the aerial photos of the Western Pacific Timber lands shows
primarily cut-over land of little value as productive timber land in the
foreseeable future. However, with the current policy of minimal logging on
Forest Service lands, federal ownership of these lands is not inconsistent
with such a management policy. The Forest Service would be the best owner
for the restoration of these lands.

As a general principle I favor private property ownership of land that has
development potential. With regard to privately owned timber-producing
lands we have state forest practice laws and local zoning regulations to
minimize the risk of abuse on private lands. At the same time, I have some
reservations about the motivations of Western Pacific Timber. Therefore, I
urge the Forest Service to accurately appraise the values of both
properties and make sure the exchange is based on meaningful comparisons.
After all, my house is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
And who would buy the cut-over WPT land in the Upper Lochsa? Value is only
a consideration of what someone would pay for the land, if a buyer can be
found. This exchange should proceed only if fair-market values are
determined for both the federal and private lands involved. It appears
that this has not always been the case with such exchanges in the past.

The discussion of shipping megaloads over U.S. Highway 12 also has moved
to the nonsensible stage. As long as the companies involved can guarantee
a relatively safe passage, they should be allowed to do so. This will add
money to the local economy as well as have long-term positive impacts on
our oil supplies. Reducing our dependence on foreign oil should be
something we all agree on. To think that blocking these shipments will
somehow make us less reliant on oil is folly. Each day the loads sit at
Lewiston raises the price we pay for gasoline. Hopefully those few who
strongly oppose will realize which side of the bread their butter is on
and no longer put roadblocks in the way.

Public involvement in policy making is a freedom we enjoy. It must be
approached in a sensible way that addresses issues relevant to the policy
being proposed. But it must also consider the importance of private
property rights that we highly value. If we extend the same attitude
toward other private property owners that we would like to have extended
to us, perhaps we would not be as anxious to oppose the plans of others.
And perhaps our involvement in public policy decisions would be based on a
more sensible perspective.

John Carlson is professor emeritus of rural sociology at the University of
Idaho. He may be contacted at svcabin at gmail.com.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

and the Realist adjusts his sails."

- Unknown