[Vision2020] (no subject)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Jan 14 05:34:40 PST 2011

Thanks, Paul.

I seriously appreciate your honest, supportive comments.

More importantly, I respect your remarks, both agreeable and adversarial.
Those comments serve to feed and maintain various debates in which we have
participated here on the Viz.

Free and open debates are vital to this listserve.  The community learns
from those that participate in these debates.

I may not agree with everybody that posts to the Viz (now, there's a
surprise, huh?), but I've learned from Gary Crabtree, Jeff Harkins, Kai
Eiselein, Paul Rumelhart, Roger Falen, and others to whom I have made
less-than-favorable remarks, as well as those with whom I have shared
common opinions; my Intolerista buddies (youknow who you are . . . *fist
bump*).

This neighborhood of ours, Moscow, becomes more and more accepting, not in
spite of our debates, but because of it.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

On Thu, January 13, 2011 8:50 pm, Paul Rumelhart wrote:

> I tend to annoy everybody, I think.  It's a special trait of mine.
>
> I haven't met very many people on the list in real life.  I know Sue
> Hovey, I've met Nick Gier, and I've talked to Keely on the phone.
>
> I miss some of the old-timers that haven't been around in a while.  Is
> Chasuk still around somewhere?  There have been periods of time where I
> haven't followed the list as much as I'd like, so maybe I just haven't
> seen his posts.
>
> Although Ted and I are constantly beating our heads against each other,
> I respect his character and can confidently say that he's a principled
> person who cares deeply about the environment.  Nothing wrong with
> that.  As I tend to get a bit snarky in my responses far too regularly,
> I apologize to him now for the many sarcastic and unfriendly remarks
> I've made over the years.
>
> I've talked with Gary both on and off the list (a few times, anyway) and
> find him to be a good guy.  He calls them like he sees them, and I
> respect that.  My path over the last few years is one of realizing that
> even people you differ with have important things to say and that
> everything is not so black and white as people try to make it appear.
> My opinion of Gary has changed for the better since I've interacted with
> him, and that can only be a good sign.
>
> Apart from the last few weeks, I haven't interacted with Joe that much,
> but I appreciate the civil discourse we've had, even though we both
> probably shriek at the walls various unflattering remarks about each
> other after a long back-and-forth.  He's an intelligent guy, and he also
> calls 'em like he sees 'em, too.  That's a good thing.
>
> I've had some good conversations with Donovan, and find him to be a nice
> guy.
>
> Andreas is one of the more reasonable posters on the list, I enjoy his
> posts when I see them.  He seems level-headed and intelligent and wise,
> really.
>
> I enjoy Tom's humorous posts, and appreciate the work he does for the
> community.  I'm not as big a fan of cats as he is, though.  Don't hate
> them, mind you, but I'm not as enamored of them.
>
> I enjoy Keely's posts, even though we often disagree about some things.
> I also enjoy Nicks posts, they are very thought-provoking.  There are
> lots of others I'm missing, I'm sure.  Reggie, Roger, Wayne, Jeff, Dan,
> Dave, Deb, and others.  All of them nice people who think I'm a fruitcake
> ;)
>
> It certainly doesn't hurt to take a break from the mud-slinging and to
> realize that real people actually exist behind their on-line personas.
> This list is an enigma.  It's full of generally nice people who like to
> yell at each other all the time.  It must be the dehumanizing properties
> of the email medium, I guess.
>
> Ah well, back to the mudslinging, I say!
>
> Paul
>
> Andreas Schou wrote:
> [...]

and the Realist adjusts his sails."

- Unknown