[Vision2020] Special request for eyeglasses and hearing devices

Andreas Schou ophite at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 21:27:37 PST 2011

Just to add a little lagniappe to the top of Jeff's post:

This is very important. Though a lot of the poor's needs are covered
by government programs and well-supported nonprofit enterprises, there
are a lot of small but critical needs, like tampons and eyeglasses,
that fall through the cracks and are provided erratically when thery
are provided at all. For most people, being able to see or hear is a
necessary precondition to being to work, and eyeglasses or a hearing
aid can be that first step up back to self-sufficiency.

Most of these glasses are distributed in countries where poor vision
is a permanent disability. Some, in previous years, have been
distributed through agencies like Pullman's Community Action Agency
and Moscow's Community Action Partnership. If you've got spare glasses
kicking around, donate them. How many pairs of glasses do you wear,
anyway? They'll go to someone who needs them.

-- ACS