[Vision2020] evil in Tucson

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl1.fastmail.fm
Wed Jan 12 20:27:03 PST 2011

Hi Matt,

I'll start out by saying that I haven't been reading most (95%+) V2020 posts
recently, mostly because there have just been so many of them, but also
because just exactly what I thought was going to happen here has, in fact,
happened, and I opted not to spend my time reading the endless multitude of
"Yeah, but your side is worse than my side" back & forths.  I'm not saying
that the many who want to play that game with respect to the tragedy in
Tucson shouldn't be having the (futile, IMHO) doing so . . . just that I
didn't want to read it.

I will say that I have looked at a very few posts & was pleasantly surprised
to see some shining exceptions (again, IMHO) to the "Yeah, but" back &
forth, and I found your two previous posts in that category.

Thus, I'm sorry to see that you've fallen into the very "division" trap you
entreated us to guard against.  There's no other explanation for your second
paragraph while choosing to remain stunningly silent with respect to the
gross abuses of those on the right use this tragedy to advance their
political agendas & to ridicule those on the left while specifically
"calling out" those you think are on the left for doing so.

It's a darn shame and I'm disappointed, Matt, particularly given the moronic
antics of Sarah Palin spinning like hell to make herself the victim in this
tragedy . . . I've seen nothing more nauseating from either side.  It's
flatly disgusting & un-American - not to mention blatantly dishonest (with
respect particularly to her pathetic attempt at revisionist history to
explain away her despicable map) , but most Americans have learned to expect
nothing more from her.  That, however, doesn't excuse her inexcusable
behavior.  Or, how about Boehner bailing on the memorial service to instead
attend a posh "reception" (aka fundraiser) thrown by his PAC?  It seems to
me that's an excellent example of partisanship at its lowest and taking full
advantage of the tragedy advance his political agenda & even make money off
of it.

When you call out what you find offensive one side - and that also applies
to your third paragraph -- while keeping quiet about gross exploitation on
the other side, you're only showing your hypocrisy, no matter how noble your
earlier sentiments.

Further, you wrote:

"I don't agree with some, using this tragedy for further advancements of
political agendas and to ridicule the right. Already, talks of gun control
have been mentioned. Along with freedom of speech restrictions."

I'm sure you didn't mean to imply those on the right haven't proposed gun
control & restricting freedom of speech following the Tucson tragedy, right?
Surely you're aware, for instance, that Republican Peter King is the one
advocating that people shouldn't be able to carry within 1000 feet of
federal officials, and that he's gotten other Republican (as well as
Democrat) support?

And, you're aware, of course, that the emergency legislation passed in
Arizona to restrict the free speech of the notorious Westboro Baptist Church
was unanimously passed by a Republican Arizona legislature & signed into law
by a Republican governor, correct?  Do you disagree with that restriction on
the freedom of speech?

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you meant to say above & reading more into
it, but that's the plain reading of what you wrote.  Feel free to restate if
you like.

I find the sentiments in your last paragraph laudable, but when you yourself
are unwilling to quit the finger-pointing that leads to the extreme division
facing our nation, is it any surprise that those who excel at violent
vitriolic rhetoric - which may be the only skill they have -- don't want to
behave any better?

Saundra Lund

Moscow, ID

nothing.

~ Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2010 through life plus
70 years, Saundra Lund.  Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside
author.*****