[Vision2020] evil in Tucson

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 15:21:24 PST 2011

Andreas,

I know you were replying to Gary but I wanted to make a quick comment
about your first point. I simply don't get the "he's just nuts"
explanation, or why it's relevant to issues like whether Palin or the
right bears any responsibility for the incident. I made some of these
points in a post to Roger but maybe I can make them more clearly now.
Consider a few cases.

Person A asks person B to rob a convenience store. He knows that
person B is insane and if he tell him that by robbing the store he'll
go to heaven that person B will do it. Person B robs the store. Does A
bear any responsibility? I think clearly "yes."

Change the case to one of murder, where now person B murders another
person. Again, does A bear any responsibility? Yes.

Of course, neither of these cases are analogous to the Tucson
shooting. NO ONE thinks that Palin, or anyone, told Laughner to kill
anyone. But an analogous case is easy enough to devise.

Person A talks to a group of people over a long period of time,
continually saying that all of them would go to heaven if they robbed
convenience stores and split the profits with him. Most of the people
ignore him and think his nuts but among the group is one insane man,
person B. Person B robs a convenience store. Does A bear any
responsibility for this? I think he does.

Change the story so that now B kills someone and I think A bears some
responsibility, too.

The main point is whether or not B is insane seems to be irrelevant to
whether or not A bears some responsibility for his actions. You can
change these stories in a variety of ways and I don't think A's level
of responsibility increases or decreases whether or not B is insane.
Maybe Palin bears no responsibility for the tragic events in Tucson
but I think whether she does or not, Laughner's insanity has nothing
to do with it.

One last point. The issue of Palin's responsibility, if there is any,
is somewhat confused because we're thinking of responsibility here as
an all or nothing thing. I agree that the idea that Palin is AS
responsible as Laughner is absurd. She didn't kill anyone. Nor
(perhaps) did she have good reason to expect that her (reckless)
behavior would lead to these events (although now it seems that she
might have some reason to expect this in the future). She is not
guilty of murder, or even accessory to murder, or anything that
severe.

The question should be whether she, and the broader over the top right
wing rhetoric that demonizes all of those who fail to share their
narrow world view, bear some small bit of responsibility for those
tragic events? Not whether they did it or are guilty of a crime but
whether the climate that has been created by radical rightwing
rhetoric played some role in those events? I don't think it is absurd
to say "Yes." I think in a world where insane people have easy access
to firearms, over the top rhetoric should be strongly discouraged.