[Vision2020] Idaho taxes -- Pray and pay

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Sun Jan 9 16:31:17 PST 2011

I have just sent the following to Rep. Tom Trail, but his mailbox is
full. So I'll take the liberty of posting it here.

Tom,
Here is a letter that I sent to the Lewiston Tribune, the Idaho
Statesman, and the newspapers in Pocatello and Nampa/Caldwell.
While it is partly tongue-in-cheek, it just might lead some to pay or
pray and the rest of us to hope.
Ralph Nielsen

Letter:

It seems that not all Idahoans are paying all the taxes they owe.
Perhaps one solution would be to privatize the tax collectors. If
they were paid on a commission basis they would make sure that all
taxpayers pay all the taxes they owe.

This was how the Romans collected taxes in the days of Jesus. The tax
men were not popular with some people but Jesus loved them; he would
even wine and dine with them. So one day a tax collector called Levi
put on a big banquet for a large crowd of tax collectors and sinners,
plus Jesus and his disciples.

This angered some of the political and religious establishment but
Jesus rebuked them, saying, "Since when do those in good health need
a doctor? It's the sick who do" (Luke 5:27-32).

The moral of this Bible story is that if you want to be on the good
side of Jesus be sure you pay all of your taxes.