[Vision2020] State Budget Deficits

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Sat Jan 8 14:52:51 PST 2011

On Tuesday 04 January 2011 14:52:23 Jeff Harkins wrote:
>   On the face of it, the argument for raising taxes seems to be a
> suitable measure.  However, one must keep in mind that when money is
> taken from money earners in the form of higher taxes, that transfers the
> spending capacity from the individual to the government - where some
> bureaucrat or politician will use their own self aggrandizing view of
> collective choice to usurp the choices that the individual money earner
> would make.

I find it troubling that you appear to conflate, coalesce, and compress entire
governmental agency planning, executive budgeting, legislative appropriating,
and administrative disbursing functions into the self-aggrandizing view of
some bureaucrat or politician which results in usurpation of individual
choices in favor of collective choices. While the implication of pejorative ad
hominem may be entertainingly impolite, the prospect of the realistic truth of
a public resource recognition and allocation system so restricted, and, for
all practical purposes, so closed to significant public participation is worse.

When the nameless, faceless bureaucrat is viewed as an exercise of power by a
unitary executive for the purpose of directly controlling the government, and
indirectly controlling the electorate, the situation degrades from worse to
unacceptable to an empowering electorate expecting discourse and recourse.

> Government has clearly demonstrated that it is incapable of making
> rational, transitive and reflexive choices when it receives money from
> taxation.

This statement is at least confusing, if not simply wrong. Governments, more
specifically legislatures, use the sovereignty granted them by the electorate
to make choices, which are thereby defined as legally rational, however
disagreeable, logically irrational, or immoral those choices may appear.

Many of those choices are clearly transitive in nature. For example, (a) the
legislature requires some people to pay taxes to the state, (b) the state
spends those tax dollars on state programs, so, therefore, (c) people paying
taxes pay for state programs. (a) --> to --> (b), then (b) --> to --> (c),
therefore (a) --> to --> (c), which is a transitive relation, by definition.

Reflexive relations concern characteristics that an object or entity has with
itself. Governments appear to be reflexive on multiple dimensions. One branch's
activities are acted upon, or reacted to, by another branch of the government,
which activities comprise, by definition, the sovereign will of the electorate
that created, elected, and tolerated the creature its lightning enlivened.

I don't understand why you would write that statement in the first place.

> The absolute failure of the TARP and TARA programs are a case in point.
> Remember "cash for clunkers"?  The unintended consequences are still
> surfacing.  Still a lot of folks driving their "free" golf carts.  And,
> the price of used cars has skyrocketed.

We're shifting vantage points from state to federal here, so it's important to
differentiate one entity's financial dynamics from those of another, whether
it's government level, auto maker versus new auto dealer versus used car
dealer, or various consumer types. Different names atop of various sets of
financial statements preclude sweeping statements of success or failure of
programs that affected many types of financial entities.

> Instead of raising taxes, leave that money with individuals, who out of
> their own self interest will save, invest, spend and create wealth.
> Government is just not wired to do this.

Oh, really? It's beginning to look as if the federal investment in General
Motors may return positive returns to tax payers who singly could not have
done anything to help GM, but by collectively aggregating assets through the
government, saved a major manufacturing industry and its ancillary economic
affiliates. To suggest that major monetary mojo cannot have wealth-creating
effects that favorably affect taxpayer-citizens ignores smart macroeconomics.

> This simple step will automatically increase revenues to the various
> government treasuries.

That might be the case if investors do not choose to do nothing with trillions
of dollars of available investment capital, but to the extent that wealth
holders refuse to invest, whether from economic timidity or petulant pouting
about election results, there are no guarantees that cash flow through the
macro-economy will be sufficient to satisfy even basic value investors, much
less keep the coffers of government sufficiently full to fund its programs.

> The risk is that whatever the incremental resources the government
> gleans from us must be directed in reducing the National debt and the
> related state and local debt.

It's a risk to pay down the national debt, to pay the nation's bills? That
makes no sense, unless the country is in such awful economic shape that
failure to stimulate the economy instead of reducing the national debt is
tantamount to allowing the national economy to fail.

Whether that has been the recent case in the USA is a matter for discussion,
but it does appear that recent opportunities have presented themselves whereby
federal investment has had positive stimulative and recovery effects. Whether
the investments that have been made were the optimal ones from the vantage of
economic and fiscal returns to federal taxpayers is also a matter for
discussion, but whether major monetary and macro-investment moves were
necessary from responsible governmental officials was, and is, beyond the realm
of mere discussion and well into the reality of required federal intervention.

> I don't have the confidence that our elected officials are capable of
> that kind of restraint.

I find that the level of confidence, or lack thereof, of individual citizens
toward their elected, appointed, and hired representatives in government is
considerably less important than the levels of intelligence, education,
experience, and overall competence of those officials to perform governmental
functions as well as they can be performed.

Governmental restraint is valuable and admirable only when there is nothing
that can or should be done. Governmental competence to act. or not, as well as
is possible is always valuable, and so is more important than mere restraint.

> We the people must impose that constraint on government!  Limit spending
> - it is the only way to assure a return to fiscal responsibility (sanity).

Silly rabbit! Trix are for kids! We, the people, must impose discipline upon
ourselves to understand well enough to elect and to counsel with competent
legislators and local officials. None of us as individuals has capacities to
understand, consider and respond to all governmental concerns that affect us,
so we must choose and cooperate with capable representatives for our own good.

Ken