[Vision2020] State Budget Deficits

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Tue Jan 4 14:52:23 PST 2011

  On the face of it, the argument for raising taxes seems to be a
suitable measure.  However, one must keep in mind that when money is
taken from money earners in the form of higher taxes, that transfers the
spending capacity from the individual to the government - where some
bureaucrat or politician will use their own self aggrandizing view of
collective choice to usurp the choices that the individual money earner
would make.

Government has clearly demonstrated that it is incapable of making
rational, transitive and reflexive choices when it receives money from
taxation.

The absolute failure of the TARP and TARA programs are a case in point.
Remember "cash for clunkers"?  The unintended consequences are still
surfacing.  Still a lot of folks driving their "free" golf carts.  And,
the price of used cars has skyrocketed.

Instead of raising taxes, leave that money with individuals, who out of
their own self interest will save, invest, spend and create wealth.
Government is just not wired to do this.

This simple step will automatically increase revenues to the various
government treasuries.

The risk is that whatever the incremental resources the government
gleans from us must be directed in reducing the National debt and the
related state and local debt.

I don't have the confidence that our elected officials are capable of
that kind of restraint.

We the people must impose that constraint on government!  Limit spending
- it is the only way to assure a return to fiscal responsibility (sanity).