[Vision2020] State Budget Deficits

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 14:08:11 PST 2011

There is nothing strategic nor helpful about across the board cuts. It
just reveals an inability to make difficult choices. And the budget
problems at WSU, which is actually worse off financially than UI, are
a direct result of the tax referendums passed over the last few years
together with the recession. In short, the state has lost the ability
to collect revenue.

When I was young I received an education at a state university
(Rutgers in New Jersey) at roughly $500 a semester. When I started at
WSU I taught logic classes with 40 students per class now I have
between 150-250 students. For some of those students it is not
possible to learn the material in a class of that size.

It seems that there are a lot of folks who benefited from the fact our
country once valued public education yet who are no longer willing to
"pay it forward" and help their children and others benefit in the
same way. You can say that we're in a mess financially and I suppose
that is true. But how many cars do you have, Roger? How many TV sets
and how large is your TV set? It isn't so much that we CAN'T pay for
public education as we are no longer willing to do so. We have no
problem paying $60,000 a year to put someone in prison but $5000 a
year to educate someone -- no way! We need to cut the budget across
the board according to you and Jeff but the billions of dollars we've
spent on two wars which had no basis in reason or ethics still goes
unquestioned.

It is a matter of values, not money. You and Jeff no longer value
public education; you are more willing to put your money toward war
and incarceration than education, for instance. That's how I see it.