[Vision2020] Campbell's Philosophical Work Direct Online For Free: Was: Joe Campbell promoted to Professor (was: ... Statesman)

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 12:52:28 PST 2011

Great comments, Ted -- especially the use of the Lennon quote! A few
comments.

1/ I agree that a full study of free will and related powers will help us to
temper the tendency to blame and punish. But this is just one side of the
coin. The other side is praise and reward and I don't think we want to do
without that. So I don't think we can ever do away with free will, like
Pereboom suggests we can.

2/ You are correct that definitions of "free will" vary but there are only a
few strands worth noting, such as: the ability to do otherwise, the power of
sourcehood (or up-to-usness, as I like to call it), and the most fundamental
power necessary for moral responsibility. In my book I try to argue that
up-to-usness (arguably) captures all these notions. Thus, I have free will
to the extent that my acts are up to me and not some outside force.

3/ My own view is that free will is a set of active powers (like the power
to act) and cognitive capacities (the ability to partake in means-to-ends
reasoning, to deliberate, etc.) and thus is a naturalistic phenomenon.
Hence, I agree that eventually it will be scientifically explicable. I think
that part of the confusion around free will comes from thinking that it is
threatened by determinism and other "fatalistic" theses. Yet apart from the
power to act, which might be a fundamental power, all of the powers and
abilities associate with free will are dispositional powers, like fragility
or flammability. Just because it turns out the this piece of paper won't
burn, given the past and the laws of nature, it doesn't follow that it is
inflammable. Likewise, just because I will do X given the past and the laws,
it doesn't follow that I can't do otherwise.

I think dealing with puzzles like determinism, fatalism, and foreknowledge
will take us from the pre-scientific notion to something more helpful. That
is what philosophers have to offer: good old conceptual analysis. But as in
most cases the real work will eventually be done by scientists.