[Vision2020] Campbell's Philosophical Work Direct Online For Free: Was: Joe Campbell promoted to Professor (was: ... Statesman)

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 11:00:45 PST 2011

Given the importance of the concept of "free will" in everyones life,
I find reading about the complexities and uncertainties on this issue
well worth the time, even if the technical nature of philosophical
writing can be "pretty dry," as you wrote, and even if I do not fully
understand the text.  Actually, its fascinating, not dry at all...

A widespread in-depth study of this concept might temper the all too
human tendency to severely judge behavior and punish, without a full
consideration of the questions regarding when human behavior is under
rational deliberative control. From "Isolation" by John Lennon:  "I
don't expect you to understand, After you've caused so much pain, But
then again, you're not to blame, You're just a human, a victim of the
insane"  http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/42604/

Many people who have not studied the concept of free will in-depth
appear to think they understand "free will."  This is perhaps similar
to someone claiming to be a nuclear physicist, having only make it
through simple Jr. High Newtonian Physics. I recall on Vision2020
someone distinguishing "genuine free will," as opposed to someone with
a mental disorder that disabled this capability.

I do not confidently know how to define "free will," whether genuine
or ersatz.  This would require that I be capable of parsing through
and confidently resolving the complex conundrums and puzzles involved,
which I cannot.  And there is sufficient credible disagreement among
professional philosophers on these problems for a layperson to
hesitate to consider the issues resolved: Derk Pereboom (
http://www.arts.cornell.edu/phil/homepages/pereboom/ )
"Living Without Free Will": http://ndpr.nd.edu/review.cfm?id=1287

Perhaps the scientific study of how the human brain functions
(neurochemical mapping) will in the future more completely answer some
of the questions regarding this concept.

I am inclined to think that "free will" should be treated as a
scientific concept, subjected to verification via replicatable
scientific theory and experiment, through the peer review process in
science publishing, before I would confidently accept well established
precise conditions under which free will is or is not present in human
behavior.  Free will is a concept that has its origins in
pre-scientific thinking, and is entrenched in human culture, as is
religion, for reasons that are not entirely based on science and
logic.
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett