[Vision2020] Sign of the Times

Ron Force rforce2003 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 27 11:08:37 PST 2011

Grocers swamped by shoppers with food stamps
Once-monthly distribution causes overcrowding, some store officials say
Associated Press
February 27, 2011

NAMPA - Some Idaho grocery store officials are asking the state to change when
food stamps are distributed because so many recipients show up to shop on the
same day that overcrowding has become a problem.

The Department of Health and Welfare since August 2009 has distributed all food
stamps on the first day of each month. Previously, benefits were distributed on
five consecutive days at the start of each month.

"They couldn't have picked a worse day if they were going to go to one day,"
Michael Read, vice president of public and legal affairs for WinCo Foods, told
the Idaho Press-Tribune. "Going from five to one has simply proved to be
unworkable for us. The lines in the stores become unmanageable even when we have
all 18 of our checkstands open."

About 200,000 Idahoans receive food stamps. Grocery store officials also say
many people are paid on the first day of the month, and they also arrive to
shop.

"That creates frustration, it's a bad shopping experience, even for the food
stamp recipients," said Read.

But Health and Welfare spokesman Tom Shanahan said the current system saves
money for taxpayers and creates consistency for food stamp recipients.

"Right now we're at a system that's best for the state as far as our workers,
it's best for the customers, the people who receive food stamps, and it's best
for the taxpayers," he said.

Shanahan said an increase in the number of people receiving food stamps is also
playing a part in the overcrowding.

Government officials said that Idaho in 2007 distributed about $8 million in
food stamps each month, but that has grown to about $30 million each month now.