[Vision2020] "Credit Card Services"

Ron Force rforce2003 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 24 17:32:59 PST 2011

>From Consumer Reports:

December 21, 2010
Court shuts down alleged credit card fraud operation
If you've been annoyed by telemarketing robocalls promising to lower  your
credit card interest rates, it may be safe to answer your phone  again.
At the request of Federal Trade Commission,  the U.S. District Court for Middle
District of Florida Orlando Division  has approved a settlement that permanently
bars two groups of  Florida-based telemarketers from making the calls.
The FTC alleged that JPM Accelerated Services and related defendants  made
thousands of illegal robocalls promising the rate reductions.  Anyone who
pressed "1" during the call, the agency said, was transferred  to live
telemarketers who guaranteed to obtain the lower rates in  exchange for fees
ranging from $495 to $995. But the company never  delivered on its promise, and
it failed to honor its money-back  guarantee, the FTC said. The company also was
accused of violating the  federal Do Not Call registry, making illegal
robocalls, and blocking or  "spoofing" caller ID.
As part of the settlement, the court ordered combined judgments of  $9.1 million
against the defendants associated with JPM and six others,  who are associated
with an affiliated company, IXE Accelerated Financial  Centers, LLC. But the
amounts, which reflect the estimated losses to  consumers, were suspended, based
on the defendants' inability to pay.—Anthony Giorgianni
Rumor has it they were back in business under other names within a month. Maybe
the FTC needs criminal, not civil penalties to make "Do not Call" effective?

 Ron Force
Moscow Idaho USA