[Vision2020] Hey, Sue (Hovey)!

Sue Hovey suehovey at moscow.com
Wed Feb 23 20:41:31 PST 2011

Hawaii is wonderful.  I don't drink Mai-Tais, but you better not get sand in
my Pina Colada.  The political climate is nicer here than there.  The lege
just passed a Civil Unions bill and the gov says he'll sign it.  The state
constitution prohibits marriage unless its between "a man and a woman."  One
of the arguments used against the civil unions bill was the same old
saw---the purpose of any union liken unto marriage is for the production of
children.  Some wag suggested the state should then annul all the marriages
between old men and trophy wives unless the woman was pregnant.

I'm keeping up with the comings and goings in our legislature.  Despite the
weather those bills against teachers and budget cuts to education and health
and welfare give me chills.  I sent every senator a letter in opposition.
Thank god for our three folks representing Latah County.  It's just that we
have so many shortsighted policy makers there in Boise--from the Governor on
down.

There was supposed to be a bill to revise last year's enactment which allows
a medical provider to withhold treatment that violates her/his conscience.
There wads going to be some change which would restore "dnr" instructions,
living wills, etc. but I haven't read anything about it.  Is it around
somewhere?

Sue H