[Vision2020] IA Deputy AG: "Use Live Ammo" against union demonstrators

Ron Force rforce2003 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 23 15:06:16 PST 2011

Indiana official fired for tweets about protests
By Justin Elliott

MySpace via TalkingPointsMemo
Another week, another reminder that public figures should tread carefully on
Twitter.
The Indiana Attorney General's Office announced today that Deputy  AG Jeffrey
Cox is "no longer employed" by the office following a colloquy between Cox and
Mother Jones journalist Adam Weinstein on Twitter over the weekend.
It started when Cox, who is known as "JCCentCom" on Twitter,  responded to a
Mother Jones tweet about the possibility that riot police  would be dispatched
to clear protesters Wisconsin with the exhortation  to "use live ammunition."
Weinstein, who at that point did not know the identity of JCCentCom, explains
what happened next:
>From my own Twitter account, I confronted the user, JCCentCom. He  tweeted back
that the demonstrators were "political enemies" and  "thugs" who were
"physically threatening legally elected officials." In  response to such
behavior, he said, "You're damned right I advocate  deadly force." He later
called me a "typical leftist," adding, "liberals  hate police."
Mother Jones subsequently discovered that Cox maintained a blog, Pro Cynic, that
contained regular Nazi analogies and the like.
Following the publication of the magazine's article, the AG's  office reviewed
Cox's statements and found them too much to handle.
"Civility and courtesy toward all members of the public are very  important to
the Indiana Attorney General's Office. We respect  individuals' First Amendment
right to express their personal views on  private online forums, but as public
servants we are held by the public  to a higher standard, and we should strive
for civility," the office  said in a statement.