[Vision2020] PR - Carol Alexander Named Building Official of the Year

Stephanie Kalasz skalasz at ci.moscow.id.us
Tue Feb 22 16:10:05 PST 2011

PRESS RELEASE
Title:  Carol Alexander, City of Moscow Building Official Named 2010 Idaho Building Official of the Year

February 22, 2011 - Carol Alexander, City of Moscow Building Official has been named 2010 Idaho Building Official of the Year, by the Idaho Association of Building Officials.  This award is presented annually to the building official who makes significant contributions to the building profession.

Alexander's career began as a certified residential/commercial building inspector through testing with the Idaho Division of Building Safety in November of 1993 under the 1991 Uniform Building Code, two years after starting to work for the Latah County Planning and Building Department. Since that time she has pursued other certifications, including plans examiner, mechanical inspector and building official; and most recently was certified as a Commercial Energy Code Inspector by the International Code Council.

For more than 19 years, Alexander has excelled in forming excellent working relationships with contractors; building officials and inspectors from across the state of Idaho and the nation; architects; and engineers; all working towards the improvement of the built environment.

She has also been involved in the following activities during her tenure as a building official:

*         In 2003, Alexander was appointed by the Governor to the Idaho Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning Board, was re-appointed in 2006, and served through July of 2009.

*         In January of 2010, she was appointed by the Governor to the State of Idaho Building Code Board, and currently serves on that board as Vice Chair.

*         Since 2000, she has been involved in the Idaho Association of Building Officials organization, having served as Secretary/Treasurer, Vice President and as President in 2008 and currently serves on the Board of Directors.

*         Currently Alexander works on the Idaho Code Council Code Change Committee.

*         To date she is a representative for the local North Central Inspectors organization where she recently served as president.

*         Most recently, Alexander was named by the International Code Council as one of six Energy Code Ambassadors within the State of Idaho, one of five participating states for the pilot program designed to promote energy conservation and provide mentoring opportunities for small jurisdictions in Idaho.

Alexander remarks, "I was completely surprised by the recognition award of Building Official of the Year. I am deeply grateful to those with whom I've worked over the last two decades. They have encouraged me, counseled me, offered differing perspectives, helped me grow in many ways, and asked for my help and views. It is rewarding to be honored by my peers in this special way."

###

Story Contact: Bill Belknap, Community Development Director
Phone: 208-883-7011
Email: bbelknap at ci.moscow.id.us<mailto:bbelknap at ci.moscow.id.us>

The City of Moscow delivers quality municipal services while ensuring responsible use of resources. We anticipate and meet the needs of our diverse population in order to build public trust and enhance a sense of community.

Jen Pfiffner
Assistant to the City Supervisor
City of Moscow
PO Box 9203 | 206 E Third Street