[Vision2020] Idaho Teachers, Rep. Trail and Why They Matter

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Feb 21 04:11:27 PST 2011

Courtesy of the "Letters to the Editor" section of today's (February 21,
2011) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with thanks to Bob Celebrezze and Keely
Emerine-Mix.

Luna's plan bad for Idaho's children

The Gallup Poll from November 2008 ranked high school teachers third in
the top 21 professions in the areas of honesty and ethics, just behind
nurses and pharmacists. That is pretty high praise for a profession that
is currently being vilified by so many in Idaho during this economic
downturn.

Recently leaders in our state have put forth legislation that does not
give the educators of our youth the funding they deserve. Why is this
taking place? Why are teachers in Idaho being treated in such a
mean-spirited fashion?

Ask yourself if you believe your children have had high-quality teachers.
Learn more about the current education legislation being promoted by
Idaho's Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Luna.

While I respect that economic times are difficult in this state and that
elected officials are working under restraints and have been asked to not
raise taxes, is the teacher bashing necessary? Is the Gallup Poll wrong?

If top-quality teachers leave Idaho, our youth will suffer. Our state's
economy will certainly suffer if we begin producing students who are not
prepared to compete in a global economy. According to the United States
Department of Education, Idaho ranked 49th in kindergarten through 12th
grade per pupil funding in 2007. The current proposed education
legislation will certainly not attract or maintain the finest educators
available for our youth.

Bob Celebrezze
Moscow

The writer is the principal of Moscow High School.

------------------

Letter was an insult to Trail

Eric McGilp's recent letter (Opinion, Feb. 14) regarding what he hopes
will be Tom Trail's last term in the Legislature insults not only Trail,
but also Shirley Ringo and Gary Schroeder, three of the finest public
servants I've known in a lifetime of political involvement.

McGilp blasts Trail for agreeing with Ringo in advocating a sales tax
increase to bail Idaho out of its financial crisis, as well as for his
criticism of Tom Luna's misguided plan for school reform - a plan that
degrades teachers, robs students, and perpetuates the idea of public
education as a factory-like endeavor wherein only product - test scores -
and the bottom line matter.

Idaho is consistently ranked near the bottom in per-student expenditures
and teacher pay, and Luna's plan likely will keep us there and result in a
poorer education for students. Trail is right to condemn it. Likewise,
Ringo and Trail's idea of an increase in the sales tax is entirely
reasonable, hardly the product of anti-business "ultra-leftists." And
Trail's opposition to megaloads coursing through our vulnerable highway
system is an approach to conservation in the Teddy Roosevelt vein, not, as
McGilp says, evidence that Trail is "against commerce in Idaho."

Ringo is not an ultra-leftist, but someone who has brought distinction to
her district through her service. Schroeder's defeat by Gresham Bouma in
the GOP primary represented the loss of an effective and well-respected
legislator as well as the loss of perspective and common sense in the GOP.

Trail is generally more conservative than I am, but he demonstrates rare
integrity. He's not afraid to disagree with colleagues in either party
when he takes a principled stand on issues before him. McGilp says Trail
has "turned his back on the values of those who elected him." It
disappoints me that he doesn't think integrity and principles are two of
those values.

Keely Emerine-Mix
Moscow

Presidents' Day Education Rally